Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blog Post 10

"An Open Letter to Education"
In Morgan Bayda's post she is referring to Dan Brown's video. In his video, Brown begins to talk about how much technology has changed society. He uses an example of when people want to go on a trip, we now do not have to go to the store and by a map. All we have to do is type it in to mapquest or google maps and the internet will map out your trip for you. Brown then ask the question, "what has education done to reinvent itself?" His answer "nothing!" I totally agree with him. Education is still the same thing it was 15 years ago. We still have classes that we go and listen to a professor lecture, we scribble notes, and there is a great chance that the professor does not even know your name. All the information that we are given in class can be found on the internet. Brown goes on to say that all the facts the teachers give you in class does not help students in the real world. EDM is one class that is completely different than all my others. In this class I have to teach myself. I have learned more from being in this class than my other lecture style classes. I understand that the world is constantly changing and we need to be ready for that change. I also have to apply this change to my classroom. I do not want to be the teacher that the students do not want to have. I understand that students need to use their creativity in order to learn. In EDM, I have learned different ways for students to be creative such blogs and podcasts.
"Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home"
PencilsThis is a neat blog posts. What was so neat about it was, he did not argue over the problem. Instead, he found a solution. Many teachers do not want find solutions, they just like to argue about the problem. Defending hangman was pretty neat. Yes, it may be a weird game, but students can learn from it. Many times, if students are allowed free time you may find a few of them playing hangman. If it encourages a students learning, why would you want to take it away. I am looking forward to reading more of Mr. Johnson's post.
"Two Questions That Can Change Your Life"
What a great video. These two questions are something I should think about everyday. Everyday I should strive to be a better person than I was the day before. This can be tough sometimes, but I must not let this get me down. I think my sentence would have to be: "I want to encourage my students to be creative in their learning everyday."

3 comments:

  1. Ali, I think that it's great that you're learning so much in EDM 310. I can say the same for myself. I agree with what you and Dan Brown said about how education has pretty much remained the same since we went to school, and it's time that that changed. I also agree that blogs and other technological tools can be used to make students think more creatively. Thanks for letting me read your blog!
    -Kathryn Buchanan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ali,
    This is a great post! I totally agree with you that EDM is one of the first classes where I am the teacher. It really bothers me that some instructors require your attendance to their class when we really sit in class and take notes for the entire time instead of making us active and teach ourselves something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Find a solution. Maybe I should add that to the class mottoes!

    ReplyDelete