Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blog Post 6

"The Networked Student"
Honestly, I do not feel that I am ready to be a teacher of a networked student. I do know that EDM310 is helping me become prepared for this though. I know that in order to be a teacher of a networked student I must keep up with changes in technology. I understand because of this class that in a year and half when I graduate technology will not be the same as it is today.
After being in the field for sometime, I realize that I may become a teacher of a networked student. To be a teacher of a networked student, I will have to be able to point out to the student what is a good resource for them to use. I will also have to answer questions that they student may have. If I am not up to date on what is new in technology how will I be able to do that.
The one idea I do not like about having a networked student, is I will not see the light bulb go off when a child understands something. Yes, I will know when a child understands something, because of the work they have turned. This is something I will have to face.

"7th Graders PLE"
This 7th grader's PLE video is very neat. I like how she has everything organized. Watching this encourages me to become familiar with Netvibes. Having the PLE is giving this student a lot of freedom, just like EDM310. This is very similar to the checklist we have. Having the checklist gives us plenty of responsibility. We have the choice of whether or not we want to do our work. We also are choosing our grade. If we do not complete our assignments on correctly or on time this will affect our grade in the end. By doing our work on time and correctly guarantees us a better grade.

"The Machine is Changing Us"
The first part of the video is talking about narcissism. This does apply to my personal life because todays generation is an "about me" generation. I like how Dr. Wesch's uses "American Idol" as his example. He also incorporates the word "whatever" into his comments. I think this generation is a major "whatever" user because they want it to be about them all the time. Dr. Wesch says that people are in for a rude awakening when they are not the next American Idol. As a college student, we open our eyes to the reality that it isn't about us 24/7. As a future teacher, of course it cannot be about me all the time.
Dr. Wesch brought up some good points why technology would "deeply matter". Two of them are new media create ways of relating to others and new media creates ways of knowing ourselves. He says that "you come to know yourself through conversations with others." I think this a really good point. We communicate through different networks such as YouTube, Twitter, and Blogger. We create a different self. All the comments Dr. Wesch makes about YouTube are true. People become nervous in front of the camera and become someone they are not.

1 comment:

  1. Ali,
    Your point about technology not being the same by the time you graduate is a great one. I think it might be difficult to keep up with the technology needed for networked students as well. I think the best way to keep teachers updated on technology will be through workshops, although it will be very difficult to update the teachers who aren’t as fortunate as we are in what we are learning now.
    I thought that her PLE was very organized as well. I like that you compared it to our checklist and said that we are choosing our grade because that’s definitely the truth. It teaches a lot of responsibility just as the PLE does for the 7th grade. She is very lucky, I can’t imagine where I would be if I could have been taught that much in 7th grade.
    I too like the American Idol example, those who don’t become the next American Idol are definitely in for rude awakenings as you can see from their reactions. The word whatever is commonly used, but I don’t necessarily think it is in a “all about me” kind of way all of the time. I do agree though, that being a teacher is a job that is all about students. I also like the quote he used about coming to know yourself through conversations with others. Without a doubt that is the truth. Whether that person you make yourself is someone worse or someone better, it still isn’t “you”.

    Stephanie Dunaway

    ReplyDelete